Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Glory of God

I have been contemplating what it means this week on "Reflecting the Glory of God."
Exodus 15:11
"Who among the gods is like you, O LORD ?
Who is like you—
majestic in holiness,
awesome in glory,
working wonders?

I read passages like this in scripture and love meditating on God's glory. I love to think of the things He has done in the past through His prophets, and His ultimate redeeming work on the Cross. I wonder at how we get to spend eternity with Him singing of His Greatness without ceasing and never be tired of it. "When we've been there ten thousand years..." Right now on earth we only get glimpses of God's Glory.

1 Corinthians 13:12 (New International Version)
12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

What does this look like for us now as we walk this earth? Is reflecting the Glory of God only singing praises to Him when you are feeling like it? or When He has done something wonderful in your life? Anah and I lay on her bed snuggling a few weeks ago discussing this very subject. We looked out at the moon and discussed how it didn't give off it's own light but reflected the light of the sun. I mentioned to her that this is what we are supposed to do with Jesus. Reflect His glory to a lost and dying world. But this conversation started me thinking. What does that look like? How can I show God's love in all of my actions, my thoughts, my prayers? I am so easily distracted and like anyone my flesh rises up and demands that I get the glory for things I do. God gave me an opportunity, almost immediately, to put what He was teaching me in action.

In a conversation with a friend she mentioned something to me in passing that hurt my heart. I immediately wanted to show my displeasure, but recognized it would be prudent to be silent, let the moment pass, and think on it more thoroughly. Some times I analyze too much the things that people say. This time I prayed as I was driving away that God would reveal to my heart the intent of the situation. That He would give me her perspective and that I would reflect His glory in that moment and not my own. She had to change something that would effect me and my plans. But the plans were about things that I wanted to do in the service of God. His plans, not mine. What a difference it made in my heart. I was able to let go and not be overly concerned about it. The most amazing thing is I felt as if God reached down from heaven and gave me a pat on the head and said, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

So for this lesson I learned it is important that the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable to God. Reflecting His glory is not drawing attention to myself and my plans, but rather to focus on Him and to be flexible when things change. Being slow to speak, and slow to anger gives Him glory because I am wanting to be obedient to Him and accomplish His righteousness. (James 1:19-21) The Lord knows I'm not perfect, but I am striving to be like the one is!
Psalm 19:14 (New International Version)

14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

New International Version (NIV)

James 1:19-21 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

19 My dearly loved brothers, understand this: everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger, A)">(A) 20 for man's anger does not accomplish God's righteousness. 21 Therefore, ridding yourselves of all moral filth and evil excess, humbly receive the implanted word, which is able to save you. B)">(B) [a]




1 comment:

  1. Great post! I love 19:14 and it's one of the few verses I have memorized. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Pastor's wife, Mom of 5, & Homemaker! Doing all to the Glory of God! That about sums it up!