Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Reliability

I have been struggling with this word lately. I seem to be late every where I go. The strange thing is I leave everything ready the night before for the kids and myself. I even double check.

My heart really aches over this. I don't want people to have the impression that I am disorganized, or worse that I care more for myself than I do for them and that is why I am late. I could make a million excuses, or think of a million reasons for my lateness, but it doesn't matter. Late is late, and habitually late is inexcusable. This morning I went to God's word for help in this area. Here is a little of what the Lord showed me.

The dictionary says: Reliable–(adjective) that may be relied on; dependable in achievement, accuracy, honesty.

In Ruth chapter 3:1-18. Naomi tells Ruth to go and lay at the feet of Boaz, asking him to become her kinsman redeemer. However, she has a kinsman who is closer to her so Boaz resolves to find an answer for her and Naomi. The key part of this is in verse 18: "Wait, my daughter, until you find out what happens. For the man will not rest until the matter is settled today." Boaz was a known and respected man. His integrity made it possible for Naomi to know that once Boaz gave his word he would follow through. Such reliable people would stand out in any age. Do others regard me as a person who will do as I say I will? Not if I am late, or if I forget an appointment.

In 1 Chronicles 9:17-34 regarding the keepers of the gates :

22
All those chosen as gatekeepers were two hundred and twelve. They were recorded by their genealogy, in their villages. David and Samuel the seer had appointed them to their trusted office. 23 So they and their children were in charge of the gates of the house of the LORD, the house of the tabernacle, by assignment. 24 The gatekeepers were assigned to the four directions: the east, west, north, and south. 25 And their brethren in their villages had to come with them from time to time for seven days. 26 For in this trusted office were four chief gatekeepers; they were Levites. And they had charge over the chambers and treasuries of the house of God. 27 And they lodged all around the house of God because they had the responsibility, and they were in charge of opening it every morning.

What if they had been late every day? I doubt that the Lord, through David and Samuel, would have given them such an awesome responsibility. They guarded the four main entrances to the temple and opened the gates each morning for those who wanted to worship! They also did other daily tasks like cleaning, preparing offerings, and accounting for the gifts for the temple. They had to be reliable, honest and trustworthy. One of my many excuses for being late is I have so many responsibilities. Getting everyone up and ready in the morning, cleaning, cooking, driving to school... hmmm, their responsibilities seem very similar. The way I carry out my responsibilities ought to always be marked by reliability. How else will I set the example that I want my children to follow?

Finally in Psalm 33: 1-22 For the word of the Lord is right and true; He is faithful in all he does.

My God is faithful in all He does. I trust Him completely because He always does what He says He will. He does not lie, forget, change His words, or leave His promises unfulfilled: And HE is never late. As His follower I am to follow His example. However imperfect I may be I need to strive a little harder in this area to be like the one who is.

Father, I ask your forgiveness for not being more reliable. Help me to grow in this area. Give me the will and understanding of how to better structure my time so I do not dishonor you. Your word says a good name is to be had above all riches, let me give you glory in this. I pray this in the name of your precious son Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Pastor's wife, Mom of 5, & Homemaker! Doing all to the Glory of God! That about sums it up!